News

Yob who held illegal lockdown street party in Brixton that descended into a riot is spared jail

Ronaldo Scott, 18, has been handed a 24 month sentence suspended for two years . He filmed himself on social media as revellers damaged police cars and threatened police on the Angell Town Estate, Inner London Crown Court heard

A yob who held an illegal street party during the first national lockdown that descended into a riot which saw 22 police officers injured has been spared jail.  

Ronaldo Scott, 18, and his pals threw a party in Brixton which spilled out onto the streets on June 25 last year.

When police tried to break up the rave they were pelted with bottles and attacked with planks of wood, a court heard. 

A total of 22 officers were injured, with two being taken to hospital, in scenes described as ‘utterly vile’ by Home Secretary Priti Patel at the time.

Scott filmed himself on social media as revellers damaged police cars and threatened police on the Angell Town Estate, Inner London Crown Court heard.

The teenager,  who carried a stun gun and extendable baton on the day, ‘threatened officers with violence’ in the chaotic standoff and acted like a ‘cheerleader’ to the frenzied crowd. 

Admitting violent disorder and carrying a prohibited weapon at Inner London Crown Court, Scott was handed a two year  jail sentence suspended for two years.

As the van whisks officers away, a thug clobbers its back doors

A police van zooms away after officers encountered violence in Brixton last night

A police van zooms away after officers encountered violence in Brixton. As the van whisks officers away, a thug clobbers its back doors

He was also banned from owning a mobile phone or meeting other people charged with crimes in connection to the June 25 incident. 

Chris Johnston, prosecuting, told the court Scott was ‘highly excited and animated’ on the day.

He said: ‘He participated in sustained and persistent unlawful activity.

‘This particular defendant is one who threatened police officers with violence.

‘He opened the van door in motion and video shows if the driver of that van did not take action, the occupants of that vehicle would have been stranded and under threat of attack by the defendant and others.

‘Because he filmed himself we can see how he was the main cheerleader of the crowd around him. He was highly excited and animated. He was also in possession of a large extendable baton which [was] actually a stun gun.

A total of 22 officers were injured, with two being taken to hospital, during the June 25 incident last year

A total of 22 officers were injured, with two being taken to hospital, during the June 25 incident last year

Home Secretary Priti Patel described the scenes as 'utterly vile' in a post on social media

Home Secretary Priti Patel described the scenes as ‘utterly vile’ in a post on social media

Yob who held illegal lockdown street party in Brixton that descended into a riot is spared jail

‘There is no question about whether the defendant has been stopped by police because he was acting in a way which was against the public interest.’

Scott’s defence team said in court that the teenager, who has learning difficulties, had only recently turned 18 before the event. 

Emily Lachlan, defending, said: ‘I would suggest he was not part of the larger group, the more violent group.

‘He is guilty of violent disorder but of the lower category.

‘His decision making ability is affected, he is still a very young man, he turned 18 weeks before this incident.

‘He is somebody who engages extremely well with support, he has the support of the local council now and it may be this only out of the Angell Town estate.

‘He has turned awful circumstance, being in custody during the pandemic, into a life-changing event.’

Judge Jeremy Donne, QC, handed the teenager a 24 month jail sentence suspended for two years and said: ‘Far too many people decided to join in, far too few people tried to stop it.

Admitting violent disorder and carrying a prohibited weapon at Inner London Crown Court (pictured), Scott was handed a two year jail sentence suspended for two years

Admitting violent disorder and carrying a prohibited weapon at Inner London Crown Court (pictured), Scott was handed a two year jail sentence suspended for two years

‘You are 18 years old, in a number of ways you are far younger.

‘In reference to the disorder, my starting point is two years imprisonment. In respect of your learning difficulties I am going to reduce that to 20 months.

‘With four months for the prohibited weapon, you have 24 months in prison, suspended for two years.

‘I want you to change your life, and you need to steer clear of those who get you into trouble.’

Scott, of Bennett Road, Brixton, received a suspended jail sentence after he admitted violent disorder and possessing a prohibited weapon namely a stun gun.

The judge ordered he complete a 35 day rehabilitation course and obey an electronically monitored curfew for two months.

He was also sentenced to a three year criminal behaviour order, meaning he must not to meet others charged in connection with the June party, enter the area of Lambeth and Southwark, or carry a mobile phone not registered in his or his mother’s name. 


Source link

Related Articles

Back to top button