A museum made famous as a set for hit TV drama Peaky Blinders is to open as a vaccination centre on Monday alongside a former Ikea store and a race course.
The Black Country Living Museum, a Victorian-era heritage site which has previously been used as a backdrop for the BBC show, will open its doors next week as one of more than 30 locations to help deliver the Government’s national Covid-19 vaccination rollout.
A former Ikea store at the Westfield shopping centre in Stratford, London, the Francis Crick Institute, which is also in the capital, the Nightingale Hospital in Sunderland and the Blackpool Winter Gardens will also be Vaccination Centres.
The first seven large-scale centres, which can offer vaccinations to thousands of people a week, opened two weeks ago with another 10 opening last week. The latest openings mean there will be a network of almost 50 across the country.
Andrew Lovett, museum chief executive, said the people who get the jab were helping the NHS “in the most important public health initiative it has ever undertaken”.
He added: “By hosting the vaccine centre at the museum, we’re able to support the NHS in providing immunisation for the local community.”
Vaccine Minister Nadhim Zahawi said: “I am delighted we are opening even more places for people to get a jab – as of this week there will be almost 50 vaccination centres, more than 250 hospitals hubs and over 1,000 local vaccination service sites, run by GPs and pharmacies right across the country.
“This will enable us to vaccinate as many people as possible in the weeks and months to come and I encourage anyone who has been invited for a free vaccine to come forward and get a jab.
“Remember, with high levels of infection everyone must continue to follow the rules, stay at home and maintain social distancing – even if you have had the vaccine.”
The 32 new sites opening from Monday 25 January are:
- Bath and West Showground, Somerset
- Bath Racecourse
- Salisbury City Hall
- Home Park – Plymouth Argyle FC
- Stithians Showground, Truro, Cornwall
- Westpoint Centre ltd, Devon
- Peterborough City Care Centre
- Harlow Leisurezone, Essex
- Redgrave Children’s Centre, Luton
- Gainsborough Sports Centre, Ipswich
- Hornsey Central Neighbourhood Health Centre, Crouch End
- Westfield Stratford City- old Ikea and Dwell retail unit
- The Francis Crick Institute
- Hawks Road Health Clinic, Kingston, London
- Black Country Living Museum
- Peepul Centre, Leicester
- Hall 1, Stoneleigh Park Agricultural Centre, Warwickshire
- Derby Arena
- Artix Centre, Bromsgrove
- Royal Pavilion, Moulton Park, Nortants
- Former Wickes Store, Mansfield
- Telford International Centre
- Units G,H & I, Daniel Platts Business Park, Staffs
- FlyDSA Arena, Sheffield
- Spectrum Community Health CIC, Wakefield
- Sunderland Nightingale
- Brighton Centre
- Debenhams, Folkestone
- Oxford Kassam Stadium
- Southampton CCG Offices
- Blackpool Winter Gardens
- Lancaster Town Hall